Fantastic Furry Monsters by Lisa Evans (12 total)

UK-based illustrator Lisa Evans has a knack for creating fantastic furry friends living in worlds filled with whimsy and wonder. Though in her earlier work she mainly illustrated using traditional tools like pencil, pen, and paint, these days she’s been refining her digital skills, pushing forward into both 2D and 3D graphics. As she says, “Nowadays 90% of my 2D work is digitally created in Photoshop, while the remaining 10% is simple paper sketches that provide the organic structure to the image I’m making.” She continues, “Aside from being faster, working digitally gives me more control over my work and allows me to focus on creating detail and atmosphere. I don’t think the purpose of digital art is to replicate pencil lines and brush strokes digitally, but to try and create something meaningful in its own terms. I often come across the idea of digital art and traditional art being opposed, with the former damaging the latter. I disagree. I think its only a matter of time before digital art becomes traditional art.” One of her goals this year is to learn 3D graphics and animation, taking her art to an even higher level. “I’m fascinated by visual effects and the possibilities it holds, and if there is a way to bring more life to my creations then I want to explore it. Like Photoshop, 3D rendering is just another tool to use.” What inspires Evans to create these magical wonderlands? “I look at a lot of other illustrators online, but I've always used illustration as a way of resolving whatever mojo is floating around in my brain. I like to be moved by what I experience in art and stories and I try to use my work as a way of provoking wee emotional responses in people,” she says.

“In the future, the predominant fuel will be jam. Three eighths of the world’s surface will be covered in fluff. The favoured method of transport shall be the badger and the world’s sole currency will be carpet samples. The future is a strange place, defined by the imaginations of children. But we will all be kept safe by the Keepers, gentle monsters of the soul who provide guidance and comfort. Also, cakes will fly.” Pictures by Lisa Evans. Words by Graham Smith. Lisa Evans



January 17, 2017

Photographer Uses UV Light to Capture Shimmering Shots of Fluorescent Flowers

Enchanted by the luminous splendor of nature, California-based photographer Craig Burrows captures one-of-a-kind photos of glowing flora. Burrows uses ultraviolet-induced visible fluorescence—a fancy term for a photographic process that employs high-intensity ultraviolet light—to produce pictures of plant-life that appears to glow. Shimmering with light and beaming with color, his series of fluorescent flowers conveys the underlying beauty of the natural world. Each floral photo features a single plant bursting with radiant blooms.

Read Article


January 16, 2017

Man Saves a 110-Year-Old Piano by Turning It Into a Stunning DIY Desk

Most people see a piano and think that it’s just a musical instrument. Artist and musician Jonathan Miranda Sickmeyer had a different idea when he found an old upright piano on Craigslist. The thing was listed as free—the person posting it wrote that if no one wanted it, the 110-year-old piano was off to the dump. “All the keys were stripped of [their] ivory so I couldn’t salvaged any of it,” Sickmeyer recalled on Bored Panda.

Read Article


Get Our Weekly Newsletter