Challenging Watercolor Painting Ideas
- Recreate an old family photograph.
- A collection of your favorite glass bottles. The more you add, the more challenging the painting will be.
- A smattering of spoons, knives, and forks. Be sure to pay attention to the reflections in them!
- A bouquet of flowers—roses are some of the most challenging blooms you can paint.
- The plumage on a peacock.
- Pet portraits—these make great gifts!
- A fire-breathing dragon.
- Go outside! Sketch a building on location. Can you capture the people around there, too?
- A beetle with an iridescent shell—try to recreate all of the gorgeous colors you see.
- Part of the human body. An entire face is the hardest to paint. For something a little easier (but still challenging), try rendering the hands or feet.
- Your favorite room in your home.
- What you see from your bedroom window.
- Paint the monsters living under a bed.
- Crashing waves on a shore.
- A magical unicorn.
- Venture into Surrealism by merging two things into one—such as a bird with leaves in place of its feathers.
- Your main mode of transportation, whether that is a bike, car, scooter, or public transit. Try showing them in an environment.
- A bustling underwater scene.
Need more art ideas? Check out our drawing ideas, acrylic painting ideas, and sketchbook ideas.
Once you’re done painting, be sure to share your work in our Art, Design, Photography, and Drawing Club on Facebook!