Have some free time this summer and want to put it to use expanding your knowledge? You're in luck. There are over 3,500 free online courses that are starting up in early August. MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) are a fantastic way to partake in lessons from top universities around the world, right from the comfort of your own home. To make things easier, Open Culture has compiled a list of August MOOCs that covers everything from ancient philosophy to the music of The Rolling Stones.
If you're just interested in enrolling without earning credit, the classes will be free. Just be sure to select the Audit or No Certificate option while signing up. Those looking for certification will also be able to do so, for a fee. Want to see some of the interesting courses starting up in August? Check out our curated selection below.
Here are 20 MOOCs in August you won't want to miss.
- Art & Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies For Your Classroom – The Museum of Modern Art on Coursera – August 5 (4 weeks)
- Social Impact Strategy: Tools for Entrepreneurs and Innovators – University of Pennsylvania on Coursera – August 5 (5 weeks)
- מבוא לאנרגיה מתחדשת – Introduction to Renewable Energy – Tel Aviv University on Coursera – August 5 (7 weeks)
- Ignite Your Everyday Creativity – State University of New York on Coursera – August 5 (6 weeks)
- Modern Art & Ideas – The Museum of Modern Art on Coursera – August 5 (5 weeks)
- iOS App Development Basics – University of Toronto on Coursera – August 5 (5 weeks)
- Understanding Violence – Emory University on Coursera – August 5 (6 weeks)
- Ancient Philosophy: Aristotle and His Successors – University of Pennsylvania – August 5 (5 weeks)
- Social Entrepreneurship – Copenhagen Business School on Coursera – August 5 (12 weeks)
- The Changing Arctic – Tomsk State University on Coursera – August 5 (5 weeks)
- Big History – From the Big Bang until Today – University of Amsterdam on Coursera – August 12
- Wonders of Ancient Egypt – University of Pennsylvania on Coursera – August 12
- Crowdfunding – University of Pennsylvania on Coursera – August 12
- In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting – The Museum of Modern Art on Coursera – August 12
- History of Rock, Part One – University of Rochester on Coursera – August 12 (8 weeks)
- The Music of the Rolling Stones, 1962-1974 – University of Rochester on Coursera – August 12 (7 weeks)
- How to Make a Comic Book (Project-Centered Course) – High Tech High on Coursera – August 12 (6 weeks)
- Deciphering Secrets: The Illuminated Manuscripts of Medieval Europe – University of Colorado System on Coursera – August 12
- The Architectural Imagination – Harvard University on edX – August 13
- Drawing Nature, Science and Culture: Natural History Illustration 101 – University of Newcastle on edX – August 14
What are you waiting for? Enroll now and start learning!
h/t: [Open Culture]
How to Take a Class From Harvard—and Over 800 Other Universities—for Free
Harvard Is Offering a Popular Online Architecture Course for Free
15 Creative Online Classes to Spark Your Imagination This Week
Learn to Draw Anything with These Handy Online Resources and Books