The COVID-19 lockdown has many of us with some unexpected time on our hands. If you’re not commuting or engaging in your regular social activities, you could have many hours in the week that are suddenly free. Make the most of your coronavirus isolation (self-imposed or otherwise) by learning something new or improving on the skills you already have. Don’t know where to start? It’s easier than you think. At My Modern Met, we’ve provided resources for you to enjoy all sorts of things, from drawing to crafts to how to stream movies for free.
If you plan on using your time to better your art-making skills, there are plenty of ways to do so. You can learn on YouTube, enroll in online classes, or follow one of our many drawing tutorials. But what if you already know how to draw? Check out our ever-growing list of sketching ideas. (We have painting ideas, too!)
Scroll down and learn more about how you can take advantage of your time indoors to enrich yourself.
Enrich yourself during the coronavirus lockdown—whether it’s through art, reading, or films—with these online learning resources.
Ways to Learn Arts, Crafts, and Photography
Each month, we chronicle the best online classes that will spark your creative spirit. Sites like Skillshare, Creativebug, and CreativeLive all offer a subscription-based model and in return, you can take any one of their thousands of courses in a variety of subjects.
- 20+ YouTube Channels to Learn How to Draw for Free
- Learn to Draw Anything with These Handy Online Resources and Books
- Learn How to Draw a Horse Head From 3 Different Angles
- Learn How to Draw a Magical Unicorn in 6 Simple Steps
- How to Draw a Dragon With These Easy Step by Step Instructions
- Learn How to Draw Any Type of Human Nose With a Few Simple Steps
- Perfect Your Portraiture by Learning How to Draw a Face Step by Step
- Learn How to Draw Human Hands With This “Handy” Step by Step Guide
- Step-by-Step Doodle Tutorials Make Complex Subjects Easy to Draw
- Learn How to Draw a Dog with This Simple Step-by-Step Sketching Guide
- Follow These 4 Easy Steps to Sketch Any Landscape You See
- 50+ Painting Ideas That Will Inspire You to Pick Up a Brush Right Now
- 30+ Watercolor Painting Ideas for Beginning Artists and Seasoned Professionals
- Learn to Paint with 403 Free Episodes of Bob Ross’ “The Joy of Painting” on YouTube
- This Step-by-Step Tutorial Shows You How to “Grow” Watercolor Flowers on Paper
- 13 YouTube Channels to Teach You How to Paint for Free
- Learn How to Paint a Colorful Sunset in Easy to Follow Steps
- How to Make Your Own Stencils + Thousands of Free Ready-to-Use Downloads
- 18 Best Online Photography Classes Guaranteed to Improve Your Creativity
- Learn Photography With 99 Hours of Free Online Lessons From School of Visual Arts
- Annie Leibovitz Is Teaching Her First Ever Photography Class, and Anyone Can Attend
- 10+ Most Popular Embroidery Stitches You Can Learn for Free on YouTube
- 15+ Hand Embroidery Patterns Ready to Download and Start Sewing
- How to Make Your Own Free Embroidery Pattern (and Download Others for Free)
Knitting and Crocheting
- 20 Free Crochet Patterns You Can Start Stitching Today
- How to Crochet: Learn the Basics of This Time-Honored Handicraft
- 10+ Popular Knitting Stitches You Can Learn for Free on YouTube
- Learn Amigurumi: The Adorable Art of Knitting and Crocheting Small Creatures
- Here’s Where to Find Thousands of Sewing Patterns for Fashion-Forward DIY
- Shibori Dyeing: How a Centuries-Old Japanese Art Is Still Used to Customize Cloth
Take Your Mind Off the Coronavirus by Coloring
Coloring is a meditative and soothing activity. Once you’ve had your fill of coloring, try zentangles—another practice that has you drawing calming patterns, too.
- 100+ Museums Turn Their Collections Into Free Downloadable Coloring Books
- Top 5 Places to Download Thousands of Free Adult Coloring Sheets
- Adults Are Filling Drawings with Calming Patterns Instead of Just Coloring Them In
Expand Your Library
Like online classes, we regularly chronicle creative books that’ll inspire you. Peruse our reading list and you’ll find a variety of books (many of them available on Amazon Prime). If you’ve got an e-reader, you’re in luck. Through Kindle Unlimited, you can get thousands of titles for one monthly price.
- Creative Books of the Month
- 10 Creative Audiobooks to Artistically Inspire Your Mind Through Your Ears
Never Stop Streaming
Are you blazing through your Netflix queue? Supplement your viewing with your library card through Kanopy, the free streaming service that lets you watch thousands of movies for free.