From bento boxes to glass-like cakes, Japan has seen its fair share of people putting creative twists on their culinary creations. And while you might think the humble sandwich lacks artistic potential, Tastemade Japan shows just how pretty bread and filling can be. The team recently released a video online, detailing how to prepare their sweet fruit flower sandwiches, and they’re surprisingly easy for anyone to make at home.
You might be thinking fruit, bread, and cream is a pretty strange combination, but you can’t deny this snack’s visual charm. Want to try making your own? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread (12 slices, white milk bread is recommended)
- Fresh cream (200 milliliters/ 6.7 ounces)
- Mascarpone cheese (200 grams/ 7 ounces)
- Granulated sugar (30 grams/ 1 ounce)
- Fruit (Use whatever fresh fruit you have available. Tastemade Japan recommends strawberries, mandarins, green kiwi fruit, yellow kiwi fruit, mango, seedless green grapes, seedless red grapes, and bananas.)
1. Make the cream filling by adding the fresh cream and granulated sugar to a bowl; then whisk the mixture for 6 minutes. Next, add the mascarpone cheese and continue mixing for 7 more minutes.
2. Cut the fruit into “flowers”—now it’s time to get creative!
- Mandarins: Peel the skin and leave as-is
- Yellow kiwi fruit: Slice, apply cream on top and roll into a roll
- Bananas: Cut into a flower shape
- Strawberries: Cut into a tulip shape
- Mango: Cut into a flower shape
- Green kiwi fruit: Sliced to resemble a flower stem
- Red grapes:Leave as-is
- Green grapes: Cut in half to resemble leaves
3. Spread the cream on two slices of bread, place the fruit on top of the bread and cream (make sure to put it along the diagonal you'll be slicing through). Then, add more cream on top. Next, place the other slice of bread on top to sandwich everything together.
4. Enclose in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. Cut in half diagonally.